CognaLearn was founded to transform education by helping educators replace lectures with Team-Based Learning. Our award winning www.intedashboard.com online team-based learning platform has been used by professors at institutions globally to deliver engaging collaborative learning experiences that develop the problem solving skills essential to succeed in the workforce.
Six years after founding, we have validated our product, need and business by delivering the world’s best and mostly widely used all-in-one online Team-Based Learning platform. We continue to grow rapidly and are now working to scale our impact.
We are looking for a remotely-based Backend Developer who will be reporting to our CTO and / or Senior Software Development Engineer.
What You Will be Doing
- Consult stakeholders and prepare specifications for APIs and Scripts that need to be built.
- Build RESTful APIs with PHP-Laravel for client-side applications to connect to.
- Build supporting Scripts (not necessarily RESTful based) to support our operations.
- Build unit-testing layers to ensure APIs and Scripts can be monitored.
- Guide and support front-end developers in charge of client-side applications to consume APIs properly and optimally.
- Create and maintain documentation of database schemas and APIs.
- Work with senior engineering managers to ensure that code is reusable, optimized and secure in accordance with the company’s latest standards.
- Attend customer sessions with our North America sales team
Skillsets and Qualifications
- Expert knowledge of PHP - you must be able to code using native PHP (testable)
- Expert knowledge of MySQL - you must be able to write RAW SQL commands and not rely solely on a GUI (testable).
- Proficient with PHPUnit - we take unit testing very seriously.
- Working knowledge of PHP-laravel, the PHP framework that we use.
- Understand security risks related to PHP, PHP-Laravel, Servers, APIs and MySQL and can solve such problems.
- Outputting data in different formats, primarily JSON and CSV with the appropriate response headers.
*Note: For skillsets listed as “Expert”, the candidate must be able to work independently.
What You Should Have
- Preferably have experience communicating with North America customers, and supporting a B2B SaaS / EdTech product
- Able to work US East or US West 12pm to 9pm
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, fluent in spoken and written English
- Ability to multi-task
- A critical-thinker and problem-solver
We believe that teams with diverse and complementary skills perform best and continue seek to broaden the diversity and capabilities of our team. Our Great Place to Work Culture is based on having our team enjoy what they are doing, who they are doing it with and being fairly rewarded.